Sunday, January 31, 2016

A Mint and Orange Nursery


As soon as we found out that we were expecting again, my mind began churning with ideas for the nursery (#interiordesigner4life).  (Regardless of the fact that baby #3 basically changed all of our plans for the year, so I didn't even have an actual room to base my ideas around for the first few months...)  My mind got stuck on the color mint green, with orange accents.  I originally wanted to do a lot of gray in the nursery as well (walls, crib, etc.), but since the walls in this room were already tan I stuck with them - less work since only an accent wall needed to be painted.  Also a lot of these things may look familiar from Caden and Brooklyn's nursery in Madison, and they coordinated much better by leaving the room mostly as it was. Re-using things was not only practical but also fun to envision and set up in a new space.

I have to say, even if we knew that we were having a boy or a girl, there's something refreshing about a gender-neutral nursery.  It feels so fresh and clean, and there will be plenty of pink or blue in the months and years to come!




Felt banner: Orange Circle Garland.  Would be super easy to DIY - I was planning to before I saw this one and snagged a super good deal around the holidays.
White frames: Target




 



(Eeensy-weensy-teeny-tiny newborn diapers all set to go...squee!)


Of course, the nursery isn't truly done yet.  I plan to add photos or maybe a large canvas above the glider after baby is born and we have newborn/family photos taken.  Pro tip: always leave room for more pictures!



Diamond wall art: DIY - made by covering foam core with fabric (fabric all from Jo-Ann Fabrics)



Lamp and shade: Target, old
Turtle shell box: gift (I think from Target), old
Elephant toy: made by friend, old





Crib: Dream on Me Synergy 5-in-1 Convertible Crib, Natural.  Also I just want to point out that I got this crib for $104...maybe $125 with shipping.  I have no idea why the price is way more than double that now...
Swaddling blankets (in basket): Oh Joy! 3-pack Muslin Swaddling Blankets-Dots
Silver frames: Target, old






Just like Caden and Brooklyn's nursery before, this has easily become my favorite room in the house.  I think a big part of that is because it's the first room in the house that is truly "done" just the way I want since we moved in.  There's also something calming and relaxing about a nursery, and this one has so much beautiful natural light that it's easy to feel content and soothed...hopefully baby thinks so, too!

Caden and Brooklyn also love this room.  We usually leave the door closed or they would ransack it at every chance.  They love to go inside, crying "Baby!  Baby!  Baby!" as they point to everything.  They love to sit in the glider and rock (which was actually in their room until just a few short weeks ago) and have us lay them down in the crib so they can pretend to be babies.  Even though their "toddler beds" are really just their cribs still, they look HUGE in the new crib with the mattress set at the top level.  We should probably get this out of their system now so they don't invade this space too much once baby is born!



5 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! How did you attached the foam core diamond art to the wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wrapped the fabric around the foam core and secured with hot glue, then cut a little slit in one corner of the fabric so it could be hung on a nail. Not the nicest looking thing (from the back), but it works!

      Delete
  2. This is so cool, I like how you've steered away from the typical blue or pink! I think the red and orange tones work really well.

    ReplyDelete