Sunday, March 10, 2013

Bedroom Updates

Made some updates to our bedroom recently.  We don't have a headboard, so I've been contemplating what to do with the wall behind our bed.  I'm not saying that this is the most innovative idea, but I really like how it turned out, especially the white frames against the blue wall.


Before I just had the wreath hanging above the bed (tied up with a ribbon), but it looked too small and kind of lost.  Once I found the white frames on super sale at Target (I don't think I paid more than $1.50 for each of them), I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  There's also room for it to expand and add more photos or whatever in the future.  Right now I'm on the lookout for a small round mirror or interesting clock to add to the upper right corner, to mimic the shape of the wreath.  And arranging things randomly means you don't have to worry about edges and corners lining up-a huge time saver that also looks much more interesting.


The way I did it was pretty simple.  1) Hang the largest object first (in this case the wreath).  Off-center is way easier (and again more interesting) to work with than centered.  2) Cut rectangles out of paper the size of your frames.  Use tape to attach them to the wall and move them around until you get the right arrangement.  3) Mark on the pieces of paper where the nail should be driven through.  It helps to measure where the hanger is on the back of your frames and then measure it out on the piece of paper-especially with cheap frames like these where the hanger was in a different spot on each one.  4) Pound in nails and hang frames.  Simple enough.  Again, not very innovative, but it works every time.




We also got some new sheets.  Well, courtesy of my parents as a Christmas gift, but I finally got around to washing them and putting them on the bed.  They're from JC Penney's, of all places, and they are super comfortable and soft and warm.  Even better than the flannel sheets we had bought for winter-which turned out to be scratchy and rough.


They have the coolest paisley pattern, too.  It's subtle-you see the detail just in the right light-and so pretty.


Here's an enhanced photo to help see the detail.  

No comments:

Post a Comment