Friday, June 3, 2016

Read, Watched, Listened

I love reading just about everything, watching documentary-type things, and have recently embraced the podcast.  I also enjoy hearing about what other people are reading, watching and listening.  Here's my two cents worth.


(Pic with baby purely for clickbait purposes.)


Read

I used to think I didn't like memoirs.  Now I can't get enough of them.  This is actually a re-read for me.  Its's a bunch of essays - each "chapter" reads to me like a long blog post - that cover just about everything, from being a mother to aging.  I love her writing, and even though she is a generation removed from me, just find everything she says to be so relatable.

I'm probably 60% done with this one.  It's taken me awhile to get through, (I just can't plow through these kind of books like I used to #momlife), but it's like all my former science classes (and then some) condensed down into one, enjoyable book.  And so much of it is truly mind-blowing (I'm looking at pretty much all of you, physics).


Watched

If you're interested in food, chefs, or people at all, this series is SO GOOD.  Season 2 was just released last week and Tyson and I can't get enough of it.  It's well-shot, well-told, and the stories of each of these chefs are SO interesting.

Tyson and I have also been on a John Oliver kick lately.  His segments will make you laugh, throw a TON of well-researched information at you, and then leave you in tears when you realize how many problems we have in America (*cough*Trump*cough*).  With it being election year and all, we've recently enjoyed this one.

Yes, it's by Bravo.  Yes, it's kind of like the Real Housewives.  But they're all moms of little kids.  And in a mommy/therapy/parenting group together.  It's like my guilty pleasure except I don't even feel guilty about it.


Listened

I love starting my day by listening to her conversations with real-life moms, leaders, writers, and therapists (real life: I actually have to listen to an episode over the course of several days/times of the day).  She has so many good episodes, with all sorts of encouragement and PRACTICAL tips for getting through the day.  Maybe more importantly, it reminds us moms that other people have BEEN THERE.  I just listened to Episode 64: For the Mom with Lots of Little Ones and it was SO ENCOURAGING to me after what has been a very long week.

More about food.  It talks about what we eat and how to eat it in a way that's funny and thought-provoking and even very serious sometimes.  I love listening to these shorter (20-minute-ish) episodes when I'm winding down and cleaning up at the end of the day.  There's something about listening to people have an actual, serious conversation about whether or not a bagel should ever be toasted that is very appealing to my inner-OCD self.  Warning: you may start to talk about food and how it should/shouldn't/could be eaten in the very same way (or so Tyson tells me...).



2 comments:

  1. I love this post! You should do this more often. :)
    If you're on a memoir kick, you should check out The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, one of my all-time favorite books. And for something more recent, bloggy, funny but also serious, For the Love by Jen Hatmaker was one of my favorite recent reads. :)
    Thanks for the podcast recs! I am going to check out God-Centered Mom. Have you listened to The Longest Shortest Time? That's my newest parenting podcast find. The host looks for unique parenting situations/stories and interviews people about them. I've been loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book suggestions! I'm on the waiting list for "For the Love"...but I think it's going to take a few months before I'm at the top of the list. :( I'll have to check out "The Glass Castle", too!
    I HAVE listened to one episode of The Longest Shortest Time. She and The Sporkful did one together about kids and their weird eating habits (it was about as hilarious as it sounds!). It was really good..I'll have to check out more of her own episodes!

    ReplyDelete